Sunday 15 April 2007

Settled in!

Africa is incredible! Much more hardcore than India. We’re just outside Kampala (the capital, but you would believe it was a capital city, bit of a dive...but hey, the clubs and bars are pretty good, although last night was my lst night out here and I doubt ill get the chance again for ages). I'm currently planning my travels and stuff like that, so many things to do, so little time, so little money! Africa is more expensive than India - or it may be that because everything is in thousands it just sounds more expensive (roughly 3400 Ugandan shillings to the pound).
I’m really getting into the orphanage, at first it seemed like we weren’t making that much difference but after a week I realized how much we really are helping the kids (aside from giving tons of money!), they have much better English than all their classmates and this is a huge help because pretty much all teaching later and most now is done in English, which if they struggle with English they're not gunna be able to learn easily. health and hugs, increased opportunities for them to interact (i.e. Jess brought the break dancers to the orphanage to give them a class which they loved! It was so cute!), checking they get enough of the right foods, paying school fees ect...
My personal project is going to be redecorating, or possibly decorating in the first place! Their dorms, the dining room, the kitchen ect all desperately need painting. They look awful! So I’m going to make sure some of my donation money goes towards paints and hopefully I’ll be able to help paint as well - I really want to feel like I’m doing something!
I was told the orphanage was non-religious (neo-humanism something or other?) but it’s really Christian! The kids go to the local church on Sundays, which is in Luanda so I haven’t got a clue what’s being said. It’s crazy, members of the choir were genuinely doing butt dance in the aisle!! The main bloke who runs the orphanage started training to become a priest but didn’t finish it for some reason - I’m making use of one of his old text books on the synoptic gospels at the mo - really interesting but written in 1966 so possibly not the most up to date... I’m going to All Saints in an hour for an English service, should be interesting. It’s such an added bonus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare
Glad you've settled in well -sounds great! Butt-dancing choir members sounds hilarious! Can you imagine some members of our St Nics choir dancing! Hehe! I hope you continue to have a fab time and that you manage to help paint those rooms!
Love Anna
:)

Anonymous said...

clare!
i was just reading through my e-mails from ages ago and found that you have a blog - i had no idea! your trip sounds amazing & it definitely seems like you're making a huge difference to those children, im off on my travels on monday, first stop australia - im excited but so scared too :-S we'll have to meet up sometime before we go off to uni,
jess x x

Anonymous said...

hello my friend , good to hear all your news , i am glade your well and makeing the most of your time, you are a great blessing . love to her from you . iwill be in the uk from 18th may to 2nd July . hope to see you ... i dont know when you getback to uk . plese keep in touch . lots of love nad prayers .
raj