Wednesday 10 January 2007

First Lesson

I've just taken my first class! It went quite well, the girls were friendly and responsive. Although, the normal teacher was still in the room and she is really quite annoying (I hope she doesn't read this!). We were reading through 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' and pausing at phrases, hard words and anything that needed explaining; nice and easy (especially since I managed to read the book yesterday afternoon and now know what I'm talking about). However the teacher kept interupting to say that not enough people were putting up their hands and moaning about how their parents would be asking her why they were getting such bad grades in English. These girls are fantastic at English, it's the marking that's harsh! If they forget one comma or mispell one letter they loose a mark - I know they need to get it right but there's no way they'd be losing marks for those mistakes in England! She complains that the girls think she's strict 5 times a minute! Argh - I don't want to be told again!! But other than that she's lovely. I'm going to be taking their next class and I'm hoping to teach them a bit about the French Revolution, to help them put it into context. Also tomorrow I'm taking two year 6 English Classes, I need to prepare them tonight, lots of fun!!

3 comments:

Cathy E said...

Hi Clare
reading through your stuff-- why am I not surprised that your were sooo not ready on the first two blogs??!!!
Glad you made it. Sounds like you are settling in quickly and getting your teeth into things. :)
Everyone says hi and now we have got the link will keep up to date with you.
(teaching about the French Revolution hey? Good thing you read Marie ANtoinette over the summer!!)
Catch up soon.
Love Cxx :):)

icouldeataknobatnight said...

hello there clare, have you got your own sari yet? this is so exciting, im excited for you! my mum went to india alot with her first husband, i was talkin to her about it, she said watch out for taxi drivers hehe but you seem to have found that out first hand. send me a picture when you ride a camel! sorry i didnt come to see you off but you know i was there in spirit. i found ur description of the teaching really interesting cuz its quite contrary to peoples stereotypical views of india i imagine. is india being affected by the modern world in the same way as kenya is at the moment with the mobile phone and stuff? farmers are now phoning their shepherds in kenyan valleys asking how their cattle are doing, madness. good to hear ur alive, if you stop posting then i'll know "summinks up" lol xx

icouldeataknobatnight said...

ps that was me, brendan oops