Monday 22 January 2007

Lunch

I'm very fed up of the dining room curry now, it's this thick yellow-orange-brown water with floating random vegatable like things in it, and it's too spicy to ignore it while you eat it. So I'm starting to eat in the small restaurants across the street from the school whenever I can. In particular Ice+Spice is a nice little restaurant that sells the most delicious lamb burgers! I was there for lunch a couple of days ago and when there wasn't a spare table I offered an elderly gentleman and his daughter the other half of mine. We got talking and got on really well, it turns out he is a very successful retired doctor who used to work for the Sultan of Bruni for 11 or 18 years (I cant remember which). For those of you who don't know the Sultan of Bruni is the richest man in the world!! - and for Cheltonians amongst you, he's also the one with all the horses.
They offered to give me a lift to the main high street because it was en route for them, and on the way they showed me the gentleman's house so that if I needed anything I'd know where to go. Showing me his house turned into a tour around it, and tea with the daughter and some of her friends! I spent the whole afternoon with them!
I was talking to her about Bishop Cotton's school and she gave me the number of a different school in Bangalore. As a few of you will know BC's wasn't the type of school I came to volunteer in, it's an Indian version of the Cheltenham Ladies College! Private kids who usually do very well in exams, and they are great kids but they don't really need me around to help them. So while my lessons might be a fun novelty I don't really feel like I'm adding anything. This other school is for deprived children, I would be able to help teach English and other lessons, and hopefully actually add to the project. I'm going to call them later today. We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Clare, glad you're having a good time. Don't like the sound of the canteen curry - more like something we might find floating in the Nile! Hope you find a more suitable teaching position soon but make the most of those lovely polite students!

love Sharon & co in Cairo

Anonymous said...

Hiya Clare!
Sounds like india is awesome - the curry is probably comparable to some of the food we get in the buttery (aka canteen) here! Be an interesting teacher not like our probability lecturer aaarrghhh!lol.
Hope all is still good x x